Tuesday, October 1, 2013

What gives you the right?!

"Give me your phone or I'll kill you."

Sounds a bit violent hey... But, if you're a South African these words come as no shock to you. It's something you fear every time you step out your front door. Or sometimes even in your own home... Maybe not those EXACT words, but you get my drift... Sure, you think it happens to 'other' people, but not me... But you still live in fear... You walk around with caution... You tell everyone else to be careful and you're always on the look out... The sad fact is that this IS a reality for us. Its something you have to carry with you every moment of the way. And if you forget, you're gonna be reminded...

My sister was held up yesterday. In the middle of town, right at the City Hall. Surrounded by people. She was waiting for her boss to pick her up and a black guy stuck a gun to her side and a knife to her stomach and told her to "GIVE ME YOUR PHONE OR I'LL KILL YOU!" She gave him her phone. He then walked away. She started to walk across the road. I'm assuming it was to get as far away from the guy as possible. He turned around and came back to her. She continued to walk across the road with oncoming traffic. He goes up to her and asks her to give him her laptop too. (She was holding a folder in her hand containing documents - its a big folder about just larger than A 4 size and is sort of synthetic leather. So I guess it could have been mistaken for a laptop). She continued to walk across the road and told him that its just documents she does not have a laptop. And for whatever reason, he decided to believe her and leave her be...

There were crowds of people all around, and no one did a thing. They just watched it happen. I know its not their fault that it happened. And there wasn't much that they COULD do. I know, I myself am a complete scaredy cat and a coward, I would never jump into a situation like that, and obviously don't expect anyone else to. They would just put themselves in the line of fire too instead of really helping much. Its a guy with a gun AND a knife, WHAT CAN you do?! But, someone could have maybe screamed and distracted the guy, or called someone, or maybe taken a photo of him to at least identify him later on... But no one did a single thing?!

Okay, so, I know, that might be asking a bit much. There's a reason why I didn't write this post last night when I found out - I was too angry. I needed to calm down. Yesterday I was livid at every person who just stood there and watched and did nothing! Today, I can understand it. And see that they can't really be blamed for their actions (or inaction). I would very likely do the same. There is no point in getting involved if you're only going to make the situation worse. (And you're most likely just praying the bloke gets it over with fast and doesn't notice you!) BUT, not even one person thought to at least go to my sister afterwards and check if she was okay! After the guy had left and it was obvious he wasn't going to come back, just go to her, gently and visibly (you obviously do NOT want to catch her off guard or sneak up on her or anything after what she's just been through), and be like, hey I saw what just happened I'm sorry, are you okay? Do you need anything? Is there anything I can do or anyway that I can help? Do you maybe want to report it... or SOMETHING!

But yeah...

This guy was brave enough to do what he did in public... And knew full well that he could get away with it...

This just makes me so sick! The fact that there are so many people out there just like him who feel that they can do as they please and take what they what! As if they have a RIGHT to it! As if they're entitled to it! Even though they didn't put in all the time and effort to earn it! (unless the time and effort it took to plan out the theft and then carry it out counts...)

I am so completely angry about this whole situation! Just this year alone so much has happened! A few months ago Sahil's brother was held up just outside his campus by two black guys with a knife and gun. They took his phone and all his cash. A couple weeks later his cousin had her earrings ripped off her ears just outside her place of work (she works for the police in Durban). A few weeks later their house was broken into and wiped clean. A few weeks ago my sister's boyfriend was held up at a garage in Johannesburg when he went to fill petrol. A guy tried to steal his cell phone and refused to let it go and started screaming for help. The people standing nearby heard and came at his screams and looted his boot. All in all he lost over R 12 000 worth of stuff.

WHAT is this world coming to?! I know that it's not just our country. (Sahil had this talk with me trying to calm me down in my rant about crime in South Africa, telling me that its pretty much world wide. America has serial killers and rapists and people who go on killing sprees. Other countries have bombings and terrorist attacks and a wave of other stuff...) So, yes, I know, its not just South Africa. As much as my rage is towards South Africa at the moment. But, for now, given the recent incident(s), I think I can be forgiven for keeping my discussion to South Africa...

The thing I will never understand is WHY. WHY do people do this?! HOW can you just go out and take something that does not belong to you?! Something that someone else worked hard for?!  Why can they not just go out and work for themselves?! Do an honest day's worth of work and live a decent life. HOW the hell can people be so selfish?!

I am just so sick of people taking what they don't deserve and doing as they please! I have to live in fear because of these selfish pricks! I've got to drive with my windows rolled up. I can't wear jewelry if I'm going into town - oh you don't want to 'tempt' them! I've got to be fully aware of my surrounding at all times. If I go to get take out food I feel guilty that I actually have something to eat. I also have to hold on tight to that food if I actually want to eat it.

Its all just too much!!! I can't take this anymore! And, what gives them the right to do this to me, or to anyone. What gives them the right to make us feel this way... To basically have us living as prisoners in our so called free country?! (And yes, I used 'them'. I'm othering them and I do NOT care!)

WHAT GIVES THEM THE RIGHT?!

3 comments:

  1. Why does race come into play when mentioning the perpetrators? Huge generalisation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not generalising, I figured mentioning race would be a problem, but I did it anyway, because its a fact. I didn't make general sweeping statements about any race in particular, I only mentioned race in the incidents that took place, and where I knew the race. Its a FACT that my sister was held up by a black guy. Not a generalistion. I didn't say it to be racist, I was merely stating the facts. Fell free to read through the post again and see for yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. After that entire post, that's all you have to say Anonymous? That's pretty ignorant.

    ReplyDelete