Thursday, February 11, 2016

Travelling Library in PMB!


About three weeks ago I went to my local shopping center up the road from my office, Cascades, to get a much needed cup of coffee. Now, for those of you who live in Pietermaritzburg you will know of the renovations currently going on which forces you to park at the back entrance...

So I parked at the back entrance, something I haven't done in ages, and right in front of me is this white bus with books set up outside it. I obviously felt my heart start to race. I then walked to the side and forward and I see "Travelling Library" written across the door!

It was one of the happiest moments in my life! I was glowing! I couldn't STOP glowing. I couldn't believe that we actually had a travelling library in PIETERMARIZBURG! I'd expect to find one in Cape Town or Durban, but NOT Pietermaritzburg. So I was quite shocked to stumble upon this here... This was like a fairytale. I thought I'd maybe been so tired that I was half asleep and dreaming. But, it was REAL.

I walked up to the bus and found the librarian and asked her about it. And apparently this travelling library has been around for a long time. HOW did I not know about this before??? So, it works pretty much like any local library, the only difference is that it moves around. I immediately signed up. I had to 'cause the last time I'd been to my local library I was in high school.

It's not that I'd stopped reading. No. It was just that I'd studied away from home. Then there was work. And going to the library became a bit of a task. So I would just buy books instead. Also, borrow books from my awesome cousin who has a constant supply of new books. So, I never really felt the lack of not going to the library...

Until I saw this bus! All my childhood memories of trekking to the library, browsing through all those books... Feeling them... Searching and finding a book I liked... ALL came flooding back to me... I hadn't realised how much I missed going to the library until the library came to me (well sort of).

I just showed them my driver's licence and I was signed up! You're allowed to borrow five books at a time with a turnover time of two weeks. And this library has some EPIC books!

Anyhoo, this is great for those who have busy schedules and are unable to make it to their library. The travelling library is at different spots at different times on different days. I'll put up a the schedule below. Unfortunately for those living in the, um, less affluent areas like Northdale, Raisethorpe, etc. the library does not go there... But, if, like me you work near to one of the stops it does help out...

SO have fun and happy reading. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment