Wednesday, October 3, 2012

50 Books To Read Before I Die



I recently wrote a blog post "25 Books To Read In This Lifetime". This post was based on books which I HAVE read and thought were so good that one couldn't go through life having NOT read them.

So that got me thinking about the books that I'd like to read before I die. These are books that I've heard about here and there. From people, movies or other books. Intentionally or by accident. And some are just books that are famous worldwide and I think I should read them for myself to  see what all the fuss is about.

Without further ado, here is my list (in no particular order) of 50 books I HAVE to read before I die:


  1. The Shining - Stephen King
  2. Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
  3. The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne
  4. The Catcher in the Rye - J. D. Salinger
  5. Utopia - Thomas More
  6. The Winter of Our Discontent - John Steinbeck
  7. Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy - E. L. James
  8. Breakfast at Tiffany's - Truman Capote
  9. Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl - Anne Frank
  10. The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
  11. The Chronicles of Narnia series - C. S. Lewis
  12. War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
  13. Lord of the Flies - William Golding
  14. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
  15. 1984 - George Orwell
  16. The Harry Potter series - J. K. Rowling
  17. The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
  18. The Art of War - Sun Tzu
  19. The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
  20. Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
  21. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  22. Bleak House - Charles Dickens
  23. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
  24. Dracula - Bram Stoker
  25. The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
  26. Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
  27. Middlemarch - George Eliot
  28. Gone With the Wind - Margaret Mitchell
  29. Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky
  30. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
  31. Confessions of a Shopaholic - Sophie Kinsella
  32. The Hobbit - J. R. R. Tolkien
  33. Bridget Jones's Diary - Helen Fielding
  34. Diary of a Nobody - George Grossmith
  35. Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
  36. The Color Purple - Alice Walker
  37. Moby Dick - Herman Melville
  38. The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
  39. A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
  40. Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
  41. Watership Down - Richard Adams
  42. Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
  43. What We Talk About When We Talk About Love - Raymond Carver
  44. The Age of Reason - Thomas Paine
  45. Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Louis De Bernieres
  46. Life of Pi - Yann Martel
  47. A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
  48. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey
  49. The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
  50. The Satanic Verses - Salman Rusdie 


2 comments:

  1. Sweet! I've read 6 out of the list and currently reading cather in the rye, so does that make me a little credible :P Don't think I'll ever ready 50 shades of grey though, too much hype over sexual tension :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes you AWESOME!!! I forgot about Hunger Games and Game of Thrones till after I made the list and 52 just aint the same as 50 lol... I just wanna see what 50 Shades of Grey is all about... Judge for myself, kinda like High School Musical and Twilight haha

    ReplyDelete