Monday, July 28, 2014

I was better off before I could drive

Ever since I got my licence, got access to a car and started driving regularly (yes, it was a process, I didn't just start driving) I have become so lazy!

The thought just came to me today when I got to campus after work and was thinking that I'd like to go down to Checkers later. I thought about walking down to save petrol (which has become ridiculously expensive), but then I was overcome with this sudden extreme sense of dread and tiredness. And just didn't feel like going at all if I had to walk there. And I realised just how lazy I have become.

Before I could drive I used to do that walk at least once a day. Sometimes even two or three times a day! I would be dropped off at campus quite early in the morning by my dad and picked up quite late in the afternoon on his way home from work, so I had a LOT of time on my hands. I would even walk to shopping centers much further away than the Checkers. I'd also walk to my cousin's house for a visit during the day.

From home I would walk to the nearby library. I'd walk to many families homes nearby, would take a walk down to the local hub-bub (Raisethorpe, for those of you who know Pietermaritzburg. I've even walked to Raisethorpe from home, walked the whole of Raisethorpe and then back home!) When I started work I would walk a couple streets to my office from my sister's office because our building only opened much later. I would also walk to her office after work, or to town or the mall if I didn't have a lift when I finished work...

But, now that I have a car (not my own car, just a car I'm allowed to drive) and I can drive myself everywhere, I won't even walk to the shop up the road for bread and milk.

It's really quite bad when you think about it. As much as I love driving (soooo love it!) and love the independence that comes with it, I must say, I think I might have been better off before I could drive. And, this is just a thought, but this could partly explain why I've put on so much weight...

However, as much as I enjoy walking and think that it is something I should do, I know I'm just far too lazy to really do anything about it. I am a creature of comfort and I quite enjoy the comfort of not having to walk everywhere.

So, yeah, I was better off before I could drive, but life is so much simpler and quicker now... And, I mean really, how many of you guys still walk around everywhere if you can be driven there? We are creatures of the modern day and we shall suffer for it, but we'll be happy none the less.

No comments:

Post a Comment