Sunday, September 2, 2012

A Football Match - By A Non-Believer


I watched my 1st Premier League football match today - Liverpool vs Arsenal (or as I refer to them "Livers vs Arse"). This was probably the 4th (maybe 5th) soccer game I've watched in my entire life. (Yeah, shocker! I'm NOT a big football lover!) The 1st match I watched was the 2006 FIFA World Cup final, 2nd - a random match between Chelsea and Livers in 2008 and the 2010 World Cup final (I know, I'm such a fanatic!) Haha

Anyhoo so we ended up watching the match at an Indian sports club/bar - which meant that it was full of hectic Indian football fanatics (and they only support European football teams!) Now if you're an Indian you'll understand the craze of European football - you can pick on a dude's girlfriend or wife, maybe even his car and get away with it, but diss his soccer team and you're in TROUBLE! I actually don't understand the craze, I mean its a bunch of blokes kicking a ball around a field and they're not even from our own country! But it truly is a phenomena.

NOW, back to today, we end up at this bar full of Indians. The only reason I'm here is because the boyfriend thinks I should show an interest and get more involved... The game starts. I'm watching the screen. There's guys in red shirts and guys in dark blue shirts with black stripes. The blue shirts are so pretty! I can't stop admiring them. I'm called a traitor (surprise surprise! The boyfriend's a Livers supporter). So I try and pay attention to whats going on. 

The reds kick the ball around. The blues kick the ball around. The reds attempt a kick at goal - they miss. Everyone in the room starts shouting at the screen (even louder and more profane than before). The kicking continues and goes on. At some point Arsenal manages to score a goal, at which everyone completely loses it and everyone involved in the ACTUAL game is a complete idiot. Arsenal somehow score another goal! People in the room become livid! They just cannot believe this is happening! And everyone must be against Liverpool, especially the ref. I burst out laughing and quickly try to suppress it, the barmaid has seen it though and she joins in saying "they take it too seriously". They're feeling swak, but they're still holding out in hope that Livers can make a miraculous comeback, or at the least salvage it somehow and lose with some dignity. Livers makes a near play for goal, but the goalie saves it. Everyone yells out completely distraught. The boyfriend screams out in anguish and bashes his fist onto the bar counter top. I try to suppress the urge to laugh. The barmaid looks at this scene and yells out to the boyfriend, "they're NOT going to score! Liverpool is NEVER going to score! Understand that!" and laughs. I burst out laughing.

The game continues. Extra time is added. No more goals are scored. Final score: Livers 0 Arse 2. 
The bar is in depression. We leave. 


1 comment: