Saturday, January 11, 2014

Hi, my middle name is Rejection

It's now going on the third year that I am unemployed. Okay, so technically I'm NOT unemployed - I've been working as a sort of pseudo secretary since July 2012. But, that is NOT what I studied for. It is not what I spent tons of money studying to do! I'm a writer. That's what I want to be paid to do! Alas, no one seems to agree with me. And they just don't think I'm good enough. So, what to do... *shoulder shrug*

Last year I applied for the Times media scholarship. Thinking, hey this is ideal, its perfect for me - no prior work experience required and you're taken on as an intern to learn the ropes and then see how you fair...

I put my all into that application. I prayed about it every night. And I actually had a glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, this is what I was waiting for. This is my opportunity. But, I was not good enough. The final date to be notified if you were accepted came and went. I heard nothing. And it was left to me to assume that I did not get a position for the internship. No, "we regret to inform you that your application has been unsuccessful" or anything. Just nothing. It would have been nice if they at least let me know it was unsuccessful and why. So that at least in the future I will know what to work on to better my applications and writing... But hey, they don't have the time to waste on us little people struggling out here for just a sliver of something.

So, this is the piece I wrote on the topic we were given. It was a bit of a difficult topic for me to write about as it's not my particular forte, but I did give it my all. So maybe you guys can give it a read and help me out... Let me know where I went wrong, what more I could have done, what I could have added or what I should have excluded, what I could have rephrased and so on...

Who cares?  Politics, Elections and SA’s young generation.

“Crippled  by  a  faltering  education  system,  and  unable  to  create  and  sustain  new  jobs,  the  young  –  together  with  the  social  context  they  represent  –  have  in  the  words  of  the  National  Planning  Commission  (NPC)  become  our  ‘single  greatest  risk  to  social  stability’,  ‘likely  to  rebel  if  left  with  no  alternative  but  unemployment  and  poverty’  and  a  potential  ‘hazard  and  a  lost  resource  to   society’.”  –  This  is how  South  Africa’s  youth  of  today  are  viewed,  writes  Lefko-Everett  in  the  SA  Reconciliation  Barometer  Survey:  2012  Report.

It’s  now  19  years  on  being  a  democracy  for  South  Africa  and  the  youth  is  no  longer  made  up  of  those  who  faced  the  “struggle”.  Apartheid  is  nothing  more  than  a  history  lesson  to  the  young  generation  of  today.  Thus,  political  parties  can  no  longer  rely  solely  on  loyalty  based  on  a  common  “enemy”  or  “struggle”.  The  youth  of  today  expect  more  than  a  government  that  is  riding  on  the  coattails  of  the  apartheid  struggle.

Despite  the  negative  “common”  view  young  South  African’s  see  themselves  as  “confident,  active  and  creative”  and  “they  are  optimistic  about  the  future”,  according  to  the  SA  Reconciliation  Barometer  survey.  The  young  generation  of  today  see  their  future  as  important  and  their  decision  making  would  thus  be  motivated  by  that  future.  On  “SouthAfrica.info”,  Motshwane,  a  grade  12  learner  is  quoted  as  saying,  “My  vote  will  most  probably  be  motivated  by  what  I  want  for  my  future.”

What  is  the  point  of  investing  one’s  time  and  energy  in  a  government  that  puts  forward  a  vision  of  a  bleak  future?

According  to  Statistics  SA  “Between  Q4:2012  and  Q1:2013  unemployment  increased  by  100 000  to  4.6 million  resulting  in  an   increase  in  the  unemployment  rate  to  25.2%.”  In  the  SAPS  crime  stats  for  2012/2013  it  states  that  “murder  increased  by  0.6%”,  “aggravated  robbery  increased  by  1.2%”,  residential  burglary  “increased  by  3.3%”  and  “theft  out  of  or  from  motor  vehicles  increased  by  3.6%”.  With  statistics  like  these  one  cannot  blame  the  common  citizen,  let  alone  the  youth,  for  becoming  disillusioned  by  our  political  system.

When  delving  into  political  matters  it  is  of  more  concern  that  the  involvement  would  be  to  the  betterment  of  the  nation  as  a  whole.  That  one  may  be  investing  in  a  brighter  future  for  themselves  and  others  as  well  as  for  future  generations  (rather  than  sustain  a  system  that  promotes  instability  for  the  future).

In  an  article  on  The  Southern  African  NGO  Network  (SANGONet),  Lauren  Tracey,  writes  that  some  of  the  youth  “have  opted  out  of  democratic  processes such  as  elections  due  to  the  disinterest  of  the  ruling  elite  in  responding  to  their  interests.”  This   is  reinforced  by  19-year-old  Thabiso  who  says  that,  “There  is  no  need  for  me  to  take  part  in  politics  where  everyone  thinks  only  of  his  family  and  close  friends.  Being  a  comrade  now  is  no  longer  about  the  development  of  black  people  or  the  country,  but  is  all  about  personal  gain”.

Tracey  writes,  “South  Africa’s  youth  is  often  seen  as  a  ‘lost  generation’;  one  with  no  causes  or  political  purpose,  an  apathetic  generation.”  A  generation  with  a “who  cares”  attitude.   But  is  this  really  true?  With  the  state  of  South  Africa  at  the  moment,  more  especially  the  political  state,  can  one  really  be  blamed  for  being  apathetic?  (Where  one  has  to  live  in  the  hope  that  their  one  vote  MIGHT  just  make  a  difference  against  the  masses  of  votes…)


However,  it  might  be  argued  that  South  Africa’s  young  generation  does  care.  They  care  about  their  future  and  the  future  of  their  country.  They  just  don’t  care  to  fight  for  these  causes  in  a  system  that  is  against  them.

No comments:

Post a Comment