Monday, January 20, 2014

One of those days






The morning

To start off - I woke up feeling sleepy and needing at least a few more hours sleep. I shoved myself off the bed. Dragged myself into the bathroom and was inching near to being able to possibly deal with the day.

After I get out the bath, my dad decides to tell me that I need to go and get my application sorted out today! Today is the deadline! Let me give you the backstory to this so as to understand the situation...

The backstory

As you all know I have had no luck getting anywhere in my field of study, and after the few eggs I had in the nest didn't hatch I decided its time to go back to school. So, about two weeks ago I went to the university and checked up on the courses I could likely do. I found out whatever I needed to know to apply/register and so forth. I got home and told my dad everything that evening, including the fact that the closing date for applications is 20 January. (I unfortunately need financial help). He didn't seem too keen on the idea. So I let it be. I can't expect him to just pay for these further studies now. He mentioned it again once, but yet again, he didn't seem like he really approved. I tried making some headway, but eventually decided to let it go again. That was that. I was quite settled in the idea that this was just not going to happen. I heard nothing about it again.

So that's the backstory, now, back to today

I had gotten out the bath... I went into the kitchen, and I see the application form on the counter. Before I get round to analysing it, my dad comes in and tells me I must sort it all out and get all the information about it. I am quite annoyed and tell him that I told him everything the day I'd gotten it! So he's like well okay then go sort it all out and let me know later... (And I hate having to rush around and get things sorted!)

Panic kicks in

I start panicking and going all insane. I need certified copies of all my documents! I need to fill out the application form! I need to pay the initial application fee and hand in the proof of payment with my application form. Payment needs to be made at the bank and not the university. I do not have online banking/internet banking/mobile banking or anything of the sort. So I have to fill in a deposit slip and physically go to the bank and make the payment. I finish work at 2PM (if I'm lucky and end up getting delayed at work). Banks close around 3/3:30PM. And I'm not sure what time the office I needed to go to closed. My brain is trying to sort through everything and plan out the course of the day while I rummaged through my room trying to find all my documents. And lucky am I - I have no certified copies at all. I'd used my last certified copies to apply for a bunch of jobs that, hoorah hoorah, I didn't get.

Getting to work

I'm going craze and freaking out and still needing to get ready for work and leave! I managed to shovel a slice of toast down my throat and pour a bit of tea in after it and dashed out of the house minutes later than my intended departure time. And believe me, every minute makes a difference in morning traffic. EVERY SINGLE MINUTE! AND, I hit traffic. So so bad! I got to work much later than I hoped to. And the drive there was just pure torture and had me in a sweaty, moody huff by the time I got to the office.

Work

So I got to work in a less than ideal mood. Thankfully there were no lizards! (None within view at least). I tried to fill out the application form, but I didn't get far 'cause there was just not enough time. The working stay started off a bit slow. Then I got into trouble for a miscommunication error that caused a stack of letters to not be sent out on time. I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown then and there for not having prevented the error from occurring. But, luckily, the matter wasn't too urgent and there is still time for it. So the letters can just be sent out by early this week. 

The rest of the day at work was jam packed. Work kept piling on from three different directions and time and space was scarce. I didn't even have time to eat a full lunch. And barely had time to gulp down large sips of water here and there. We left work after 2PM.

Getting my ish sorted out

Having left work after 2PM I was in a much more panicky state than I had started off in that morning. I had originally decided to go to the Liberty Midlands Mall and get everything sorted out there then head to the university. However, my colleague advised me to rather go to Parklane shopping centre. I asked her if there was a Standard Bank there, as I'm not too familiar with Parklane, and she told me there was. I get there and manage to locate the post office and get my stuff certified easy peasy. However, Rhodes had to go and much up my life and be difficult and make the degree certificates A3 sized instead of just good old regular sized. So I could not get a copy of my degree. I then went in search of a Standard Bank, to find that one does not exist at that location. So I had to go through more traffic to get to a Standard Bank. The Bank isn't busy so I think I'm homefree. Only one problem - I didn't have any cash. And turns out you cannot swipe a debit card with a deposit slip to make a payment. The teller wasn't even nice about it. She just gave me a bulldog look and told me no. 

Just my luck, it was a stand alone building. I bank with a different bank. So I could not just step outside and withdraw the money. And the closest ATM for my bank, was not exactly close. Needless to say, I ended up going to the place I'd originally planned on going to! (Yet again it is proven that my initial instincts are usually right). 

I get to the mall and realise that my phone is missing. Seriously?! I realised I didn't have it when I had gone into Standard bank but I thought I had left it in the car. I couldn't find it! I am on the verge of losing it completely now. The only thing keeping me going is the fact that I need to get this application in or everything I have been through all day will have been for nothing. I want to just break down and cry - I feel it right there. But, I pull myself together and journey on. I withdraw the cash. Go and make the deposit. The only thing on my mind is my phone. 

I contemplate going to 8ta and asking them if they can track my phone. Halfway there I turn around and go back to the car - what if the phone is in the car and I make them track it and waste their time and end up looking such a fool. I do NOT lose phones. I always know where my phone is (unless I'm at home - there I lose my phone every 5 minutes). But not when I'm out. The phone MUST be somewhere in the car. Unfortunately I don't have another phone to phone it and check... And I cannot find it within eyesight. I looked practically everywhere in the car.

Now, to retrace my steps or to go sort out the application. I decide I rather sort out the application 'cause I'm not sure where to start with the phone search. I don't really want to deal with traffic. And I rather just get the application sorted out, get that out of the way and then deal with the rest of life. 

So I go to campus, get all my stuff sorted out (the lady there is so friendly and helpful! Just had to mention it, its so hard to find people who are actually helpful or even useful these days). I then decide to just go to Makro and see Sahil. I am going to break down. I need someone there. 

Good thing I decided that. After sharing my tales of woe and despair we decide to check the car again. Its always better to have a second pair of eyes. And, he's got a phone to call my phone with. He rings me, and we hear the phone ringing! But we cannot find it! We searched and searched! Eventually I realise it can only be in one place. It had fallen into the gear box! (Well that space around there if I'm using the incorrect terminology - cars aren't really my thing). 

I was so relieved. I almost forgot the traumatic day I had. I guess I can see the silver lining in there. Yeah, I had a rough day, but all worked out in the head. My application has been submitted and I found my phone! But, I still need to email the lady of that darn degree and if I wasn't rushing around my phone would have most likely not fallen into the gear box thingy.

Well...




 (PS: My internet and computer just decided to spazz out completely! Thankfully this post managed to save before that happened!)




No comments:

Post a Comment